Engineering Manager, Data InsightsRedwood City, CA
Engineering Manager, Data Insights Team
Redwood City, CA
The IMVU Data Insights (DI) team builds world-class systems that leverage data to help IMVU provide the best possible experiences to our customers. The DI team has a strong influence on the business and how we build our products. The DI team’s insights supplement and validate the experience and instincts of the IMVU product, marketing, and finance teams, and helps us make decisions and focus on the projects that matter. The petabyte of data we store and the hundreds of GB of transactional data that we process each day provide a great opportunity to apply machine learning techniques to design powerful and meaningful experiences to our users.
As the Engineering Manager you lead a team of data engineers at our headquarters in Redwood City, CA as an integral part of the DI team that ensures IMVU knows how it is doing and what to do next. Your computer science skills will be pushed to the limits as you lead your team to solve complex problems in the processing, storage, and presentation of petabytes of data. You work closely with our Operations team to architect and maintain a complex infrastructure of data processing and storage systems.
You are GREAT at doing this:
- Provide the vision to design, develop, and maintain a Big Data infrastructure that effectively meets the company's near and long term data and analysis needs
- Provide leadership and mentorship to a team of data engineers. Lead by example. This is a hands-on position where you are working side by side with your team.
- Interact with Operations and the Engineering organization at large to ensure data infrastructure needs are appreciated, supported, and met
- The design, care, and feeding of our Big Data environment built using the Hadoop Ecosystem. Well versed in designing, developing and maintaining associated architectures and systems
- Lead the development of new ‘fast-data’ systems like Spark to lay the pathway to hasten the generation of data-based insights
- Work with data in HDFS, HIVE, Spark, Kafka, and MySQL with a high level of expertise.
- Demonstrated expertise in various programming languages like Python and database query languages, with an ability and desire to learn new languages quickly
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or equivalent technical fields.
- 5+ years of experience in software and/or operations engineering
- 2+ years experience in Hadoop ecosystems
- 3+ years of experience in leading or managing engineers
- Experience with Free-to-play/social games
- Experience with Scala, Java, or other high level programming language and some basic idea of python, shell scripts, or similar
- Understanding of Linux server deployment and management at scale
IMVU, the #1 avatar-based social network welcomes users to join a never-ending world where anything is possible, including connecting with people from all over the world. It's here that the fun is infinite and reality is limitless. The IMVU Virtual Shop is the largest of its kind, with an inventory of more than 20 million user-generated, VR-ready goods and growing everyday. From collections that include the hottest trends and throwback sneakers to fairy wings and couture gowns, the marketplace allows our users to personalize, customize and stylize their 3D avatars and environments to their hearts' content. With over three million unique users every month, our platform is poised for future growth and available on desktop, tablet and mobile devices.
Our Engineers are given significant autonomy over their work: we hire smart people and trust them to use their creativity and talents to do right by their peers and our customers. We are longstanding evangelists of Continuous Deployment, strong supporters of open source software and we spawned the Lean Startup movement. We value humility, open collaboration and foster an environment that supports learning from and mentoring others. We want you to grow your talent and career. We’ll provide plenty of interesting challenges and strong support to ensure your success. At IMVU, we solve challenging problems and create amazing products together every day! Check out some of what we’re doing on our Engineering blog: http://im.vu/engineering
Founded in 2004 and based in the heart of Silicon Valley, IMVU is led by a team that's dedicated to pioneering the virtual reality industry. IMVU is backed by venture investors Menlo Ventures, Allegis Capital, Bridgescale Partners and Best Buy Capital.
IMVU has been recognized frequently as Best Place to Work in the Silicon Valley.
HOW TO APPLY
Please try out our core product before you apply. We’d like you to understand our products and have some understanding of our customers.
Please include a cover letter. Make sure to discuss why you are interested in learning more about IMVU. Job applications without cover letters will not be considered.
IMVU is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.