Character Technical DirectorRedwood City, CA
Character Technical Director/ Rigger
Redwood City, CA
IMVU is seeking an inspired, creative Character Technical Director to guide and implement our next generation of avatar technology. In this role, you will be responsible for the new avatar rig - designed for maximum customization, robust animation and stunning visual quality.
About this Role
As a Character Technical Director you will design, create, test and maintain avatar rigs/setups. Working with the modelers to create a versatile avatar model that meets technical needs. Collaborate with animators to design motion controls. Develop and maintain character motion and deformation systems. Develop secondary dynamics systems. Develop new techniques and processes to solve character production challenges. Write pipeline tools to streamline the setup process. Able to work with minimal input and feel comfortable working in a team environment. Our ideal candidate possesses strong technical skills in rigging, an artistic eye, and passion for video games and sandbox virtual worlds.
- Design, create, test, and maintain character rigs/setups
- Work with modelers to create a model that meets technical needs
- Collaborate with animators to design motion controls
- Develop and maintain character motion and deformation systems
- Assist and Contribute to the evolution of the art pipeline by bringing technical solutions
- Develop new techniques and processes to solve character production challenges
- Design, author and maintain artist-friendly tools and GUIs
- Work with production management to prioritize tasks
Requirements & Skills:
- 3+ years of production experience, at least two (2) years of experience as a Character Technical Director, or Rigger, or related role
- A proven track record working on AAA games
- Strong knowledge of Maya deformers (skinning, blendshapes, wrap deformers)
- Solid understanding of joint placement and topology edge flow
- Strong understanding of both Figure and Facial Anatomy
- Experience with simple and complex rigging (math nodes, procedural systems, scripted rigs, etc.) and skinning
- Programming experience with scripting languages such as Python and MEL
- Experience setting up production pipelines, creating workflow guidelines
- The ability to take initiative and work independently
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Computer Graphic Art, related or equivalent
- Solid Linear Algebra
- Experience using physics systems, experience with muscle, hair, and cloth systems
- Sculpting skills in Zbrush or Mudbox
As part of the IMVU Character Technical Director application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview and may be asked to complete an art test.
***Portfolio is required*** Please send with application
IMVU, the #1 avatar-based social network welcomes users to join a never-ending world where anything is possible, including connecting with people from all over the world. It's here that the fun is infinite and reality is limitless. The IMVU Virtual Shop is the largest of its kind, with an inventory of more than 20 million user-generated, VR-ready goods and growing everyday. From collections that include the hottest trends and throwback sneakers to fairy wings and couture gowns, the marketplace allows our users to personalize, customize and stylize their 3D avatars and environments to their hearts' content. With over three million unique users every month, our platform is poised for future growth and available on desktop, tablet and mobile devices.
Founded in 2004 and based in the heart of Silicon Valley, IMVU is led by a team that's dedicated to pioneering the virtual reality industry. IMVU is backed by venture investors Menlo Ventures, Allegis Capital, Bridgescale Partners and Best Buy Capital.
IMVU has been recognized frequently as Best Place to Work in the Silicon Valley.
HOW TO APPLY
Please try out our core product before you apply. We’d like you to understand our products and have some understanding of our customers.
Please include a cover letter. Make sure to discuss why you are interested in learning more about IMVU. Job applications without cover letters will not be considered.
IMVU is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.