IMVU makes it easy to express yourself, chat with friends and make new ones, but please remember that when you chat with people you don't know, you could expose yourself to danger. Here are some common sense guidelines that you should follow when using IMVU:
- Avatars aren't always who they say they are. Be careful about adding strangers to your friends list. IMVUís avatars allow you to be yourself without exposing any personal information. While it's fun to connect with new IMVU friends from all over the world, avoid providing any information that could be used to personally identify you.
- Be safe in Chat. If someone in a chat says or wears something that you find offensive, abusive or inappropriate, click the report abuse button or close the chat window. If the person continues to reach out to you, block them. IMVU takes abuse reports very seriously and will quickly take action.To block a user, please follow the steps below:
Have a safe Homepage. IMVU encourages you to build your IMVU identity around your avatar. A good way to remain safe online is to keep all personally identifying information off of your homepage (e.g., your real name, your phone number, address, screens names from other IM clients, or specific whereabouts). Donít give away personal information of any kind. IMVU strongly recommends you not upload pictures of yourself. Instead, spend time making your avatar represent who you are and use that avatar in your pictures. If you come across another user's homepage that you find offensive, report it immediately.
In-person meetings can be dangerous. Meeting up in the real world with people you meet online is *not* always a great idea. IMVU offers plenty of opportunities to meet your online friends in cool scenes. If you choose to meet an online friend in the real world, there are some very important rules you should stick to.
- To block a user you must sign into your account.
- From your homepage go to Account, located in the upper right hand corner of your homepage next to your avatar name.
- Scroll down to the Privacy and Safety section.
- In your Friends & User Settings, click on Manage blocked users list.
- Enter the avatar name you want to block where it says "Block Contact "and press Block.
Always follow your family's rules for the Internet. They're there to make sure you have fun and stay safe online.
Be honest about your age . If you are under 13 and pretend to be older, IMVU will delete your account. If you are over 18 and pretend to be younger to contact underage users, IMVU will delete your account. If you are under 18 and pretend to be older to contact older users, IMVU will delete your account.
No IMVU staff member will ever ask for your password or email Don't fall for any scam that asks for your IMVU password or your personal email address especially if it comes to you from someone you believe to be an IMVU staff member. IMVU staff can easily contact you via the email address you used to register your account. If you change email addresses, please update your IMVU account.
Donít get hooked by a phishing scam. Phishing is a method used by fraudsters to try to get your personal information, such as your username and password, by pretending to be a site you trust. Click here to learn more.
- Meet only people you feel you know well, have known for a long time, and only with your parents' knowledge and permission.
- Meet in a public place, such as a mall.
- Go with a parent or 18+ sibling (even if you are an adult yourself)
- Make sure the person you're meeting is not alone, but coming with a parent/other adult.
To learn more please visit these other resources:
OnGuard Online: FTC safety tips
If you have any further questions, please contact us by clicking the Help link
on any IMVU page and submitting a safety request.