Last updated as of: August 17, 2015
IMVU is for people to meet others from around the world, connect with their friends, chat with them, exchange messages,make meaningful connections, and be creative using avatars as the means of self-expression. The guidelines below take into consideration freedom of speech, rights of self-expression, and protection of individual rights.
IMVU asks that you respect the IMVU online community as well as all its individual participants. Your conduct should be guided by these community guidelines, our terms of service, and also common sense and basic etiquette. IMVU strives to create an enjoyable place for all our users - who are 13 or older and from all across the globe. Additionally, our customers's engage in self-expression utilizing virtual products available in our catalog. Those products are created and rated by our Content Creators and are expected to comply with our Virtual Goods Ratings Policy.
As you join and enjoy being part of our community, it is important for you to understand what virtual content and user behavior is okay and not okay. Please read the guidelines below and take them seriously - we certainly do. Take these to heart and respect the spirit in which they were created so you and others enjoy the IMVU experience to the fullest.
We strive to ensure right content is in the right place and shown to the right audience. We have several age separation, content separation, and word filtering measures in place to do so.
Remember, you might not like everything you encounter on IMVU. Some of the content might offend you or may not suit your taste, sensibilities, or convictions. We provide you tools to block users sharing such content. Additionally,if you find certain content, behavior, or users to be inappropriate in the context of these guidelines, you may also use our reporting tools to bring it to IMVU's attention. We do review all such reports and take actions as necessary.
Guidelines for user behavior
Having a great experience on IMVU means you will be interacting with our service and other community members. Being respectful of others and our policies is critical. Use common sense as you interact with others, think if you would say the same things if you were talking to that user in person, and please be polite. Freedom of speech and having an opinion does not mean you can be abusive, hateful, or disruptive.
Here are guidelines to follow:
Harm to minors: IMVU community includes users 13 and older. Keep that in mind and do your part to keep the experience safe for minors.
- Do not post anything or participate in any activity that exploits children or minors.
Sexualized "age play" (regressive role-play in which one or more characters is a minor) is not allowed - ever
- Non-sexualized "age play" where avatars role-play as children as part of a family unit for example is allowed.
Bullying and harassment: Be nice - yes it is as simple as that. Do not bully, threaten, or harass anyone.
- Do not participate in hate speech or be hateful to others based on their race, ethnicity, profession, appearance, medical condition, etc.
- Do not target individuals to degrade or shame them.
- Do not post personal information about others.
- Do not be vulgar, abusive, or sexually explicit in conversations where other parties are not happy about such conversations.
- Do not be disruptive, abusive, or vulgar in your posts, messages, or chats (passionate discussions happen, people get upset and say things in heat of the moment, however continuing such behavior to the extreme where all other participants in the chat are offended is not okay).
- Do not monopolize or disrupt the flow of a chat room by sending repeated characters or words. If others are telling you to stop, you are negatively impacting others' experiences.
Sexual or adult-oriented behavior: IMVU is about self-expression and connections but not about lewd or sexually explicit behavior when all users involved are not willing participants. You will meet people with diverse cultural backgrounds. Do not make them uncomfortable by behaving in a way that would be considered inappropriate by societal standards if you were to do so in person. Respect the difference between private and public communications.
- Do not use explicit and obscene language.
- Do not engage in sexual solicitation.
- Do not engage in adult-themed or sexually oriented activities unless, you as an adult have an Access Pass and are interacting with other Access Pass holding adults. Think of movies where certain behavior is okay for an R-rated movie but not a PG-13 rated one.
Age misrepresentation: IMVU is for all users 13 and older and we maintain some separation between users who are 13 to 17 and those who are 18 and older. We require you to state your correct age when you register for an IMVU account.
- If you are adult (18 or older), you must represent yourself as an adult.
- If you are a minor (13 to 17), you must represent yourself to be your actual age.
Spam, scam, fraud: IMVU is an online service and has the same rules like any other internet service you participate in.
- Do not impersonate or represent IMVU, or our staff.
- Do not ask for another userIMVU's password, or account information.
- Do not share, give away, trade, or sell your account.
- Do not post links to fraudulent websites or phishing sites.
- Do not harvest user names, avatar names, addresses, homepage URL's or email addresses for any purpose other than your personal use in your interactions on IMVU.
- Do not post any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, 'junk mail', 'spam', 'chain letters', 'pyramid schemes', or any other form of such solicitation.
- Do not discuss or incite illegal activity.
- Do not engage in any activity that is meant to alter or interfere with IMVU's site, Products or operations by employment of 3rd party scripts, code, bots, etc.
- Do not remove, hide, or obscure access to IMVU tools used to report a user or their behavior.
- Do not take advantage of bugs or glitches, if you encounter them, in a manner that is malicious and fraudulent. We expect you to report such issues to IMVU and not use them as workarounds to bypass our policies and guidelines. Failure to follow this guideline has consequences and may result in action against your account.
PhotoSensitive Epilepsy (PSE): We want everyone to enjoy IMVU and getting headaches, nausea or worse - seizures is not going to let them do that. Please do your part by not posting images that have fast-flashing effects, strobe lights, contrasting visual patterns, or anything that would cause visual discomfort. You can find out a lot more information about PSE here.
Ratings for Virtual Products distributed via our catalog
The guidelines and rating categories listed in this section are only applicable to virtual products submitted to IMVU's catalog. Specifically, the Virtual Goods Policy does not apply to content like avatar images, photos, interest panels, pulse updates, forum posts, taglines, in-room chat, or messages. As an example, it is not okay for a minor on our service to purchase a virtual cigarette or glass of wine however, it is acceptable for them to view images of such products or post comments about smoking and drinking alcohol (remember, your mom is still going to say it's bad for you).
Virtual products available in our catalog fall under one of these three categories - two of which are allowed per our policies. Content Creators are required to comply with these rating determinations when they submit their products to the catalog so our community members may only consume appropriately rated content.
- General Audience (GA): Virtual goods available to all users 13 and over. Think of PG-13 rating for movies, TV-14 rating for television shows, or Teen rating for video games. Registering for an IMVU account requires you to be at least 13 years of age.
- Access Pass Only (AP): Virtual goods available (and shown) only to users aged 18 years or older who have purchased the Access Pass available from IMVU. Think of R or NC-17 rating for movies, TV-MA rating for television shows, or Mature rating for video games. Access Pass is only available to users who are 18 years of age or older, regardless of parental permission.
- Unsuitable for IMVU (UFI): Virtual goods rated UFI may not be used/distributed anywhere on IMVU. Think of pornographic material, graphic, intense and sexual violence, and extreme harassment content including but not limited to racism and hate speech or actions.
The rating system is based on current societal norms and reflects standards used by commonly consumed content via movies, television shows, video games, and digital apps. If you as an IMVU user find an incorrectly rated virtual product being distributed or used, you can bring it to our attention via the reporting tools we provide.
Virtual product ratings at a glance:
Please note that the table below is a representative and not comprehensive, list of products that fall under each rating category. Use it as a guide and always keep in mind the definitions of General Audience and Access Pass Only categories as stated above.
||Access Pass Only
||Unsuitable for IMVU
Suitable Content Categories
- Cartoon violence
- Mild profanity
- Cartoon depiction of blood
- Body Modification
- Comic mischief
- Crude humor
- Fantasy Violence
- Mild Violence
- Romantic content
- Marijuana, tobacco, and alcohol text and visual references
- Excessive and realistic depiction of blood/violence/gore
- Mature Humor
- Full Nudity
- Strong profanity
- Sexual Themes
- Consumption of Tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana
- Copyrighted/TM material
- Cruelty to Animals
- Discriminatory Products
- Drugs and drug paraphernalia excluding Marijuana
- Harm to Minors
- Hate Products
- Intense violence
- Malicious Content
- Personal Data
- Sexual Violence
- Strong sexual content including depiction of arousal/aroused genitals
Guidelines for user-generated (non-product) content - text and images
The guidelines and policies listed in this section are applicable to all text and image-based content shared by our community members via their profiles, photos, chats, messages, posts, etc. The product rating guidelines serve as a reference point for other content and user behavior in general but are not directly applicable. As an example, in real life, a minor is not allowed to consume alcohol, however, is allowed to see alcohol being consumed by others.
We want to balance self-expression and creativity with an enjoyable experience for our global community members in the context of current societal norms.
As you participate in the IMVU community, you will be sharing content that is viewable by all (photos, profiles) or by few (messages, chats). Be conscious of what you are sharing and who can see it. For obvious reasons, information and content that is viewable by all must follow stricter criteria for appropriateness.
Do not post content or images that involve:
- Nudity - This includes real-life, avatar-based, or digitally-created photos showing genitals, female nipples, or nude buttocks (including most G-strings and thong-covered buttocks). Minimum coverage guidelines applicable to virtual products distributed in the catalog are not applicable to images.
- Vulgarity or strong obscenities - This includes derogatory, sexually explicit terms. However, mild profanity including sexually-derived expletives (example: the "F" word) - is okay in user to user communication but not when used in places shown to all (example: avatar or room names).
- Illegal activities - This includes drug usage and references (not including marijuana), murder, and sexual violence. Referring to tobacco and alcohol is okay. References to abusing prescription drugs is not okay.
- Self-harm or mutilation
- Animal cruelty, gore, or bestiality
- Pornography or sexually explicit activities - This includes depictions of sexual acts, and intercourse. The dictionary definition of pornography is "explicit descriptions or displays of sexual organs or activities intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings"
- Hate speech and harassment of others - this includes but is not limited to Nazi symbols, Confederate Battle Flag, propaganda related to known terrorist organizations, and any slurs based on race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and gender.
- Consumption of alcohol/tobacco/marijuana (if you are a minor): This applies to IMVU users who are 17 and under. They may not post images depicting use of alcohol, tobacco, or marijuana.
What happens if you do not comply with IMVU policies
We want everyone who joins IMVU to have fun with their friends and make new friends. To ensure the experience is fun for everyone, we offer tools so our users can block others and report to us anyone or any content that is not compliant with our policies. We review all such reports and take action as necessary. If your content or behavior is reported under this process, we will review and warn you so you do not repeat such behavior or share such content. We may also disable your account as per our Terms of Service so that you can no longer participate in the IMVU community.
The English text of these User Terms constitutes the sole authentic text. In the event of any discrepancy between the English text and a translation into a foreign language, the English text shall prevail.