The new home for the IMVU Community is help.imvu.com. For more information, check out this article.

Layering anmation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashes

Ashes's page

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Layering anmation Reply with quote

Is it possible to layer animation? In that sense, could I animate only one bone or node while retaining the avatar's idle animation?

I've seen it done before where an arm animation can play without interrupting any animations for the other avatar bones. Or for instance--a weapon accessory with an idle animation that wraps the avatar's hand around the hilt of the weapon. These animations only change the position of the hand bones so the rest of your avatar is free to do as it pleases.

This is what I'm looking for, but instead what I'd like to be able to do is to move the pelvis node to change the avatar's standing place without changing the user's current standing/sitting poses.

To add onto that (sorry, this may be one too many questions, but I don't want to start another thread), is it possible to layer an animation with the same animation.

For instance in Secondlife, an accessory can be adjusted left by repeatedly pressing the same button. The more you press it, the farther left it slides.

Is it possible to do something like that with IMVU, or are we stuck using separate triggers for every inch further we need to adjust the item?

I.e; spamming "left" in chat could get an object or avatar to move left entirely across the room, instead of a drop down menu with triggers like "Left1" "Left2", ect.

-- I have been experimenting and so far haven't been able to find answers to either of these questions. In order to move the avatar, I nudged the pelvis node over and exported as .xaf. Unfortunately, I can't export ONLY the pelvis node, and exporting all of the bones brings the avatar into the default, arms-out pose.

It would be really nice to be able to adjust the position of your avatar for things like photography and product positioning. But importing the same pose one inch in either direction over and over again seems like a tedious waste of time and precious KBs.
DimitriX89

DimitriX89's page

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the software you're using. Blender exporter writes to *.xaf only those bones that were keyframed. In 3ds Max, you are presented with the list of bones before export, so you need to check only ones you need. As for flash pose-making sticker, it may require manual editing of *.xaf file and removal of the tracks that correspond to unwanted bones.

Keep in mind that the method you plan to use will break many poses, as pelvis node is commonly affected by animation. Additionally, we cannot create *.xafs that exclusively contain position information (or only rotation).

Ashes's page

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[s]I do use 3DS Max, but exporting the PelvisNode only seemed to move the avatar over one time and it affected all of the other bones as well. I'm glad to know it's possible, I just need to figure out how to execute it.[/s]

Scratch that. 3DS Max crashes when I try to export only the pelvisnode.
DimitriX89

DimitriX89's page

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max exporters are a mess: everytime the new version of Max comes out, they break something. What you can also do is to export for all the bones, then delete unwanted animation tracks manually from the*.xaf. Open your *.xaf in the text editor. Find the block corresponding to your Pelvis node and delete entries for all other bones. (The bone track data block starts from <TRACK BONEID = blah blah> and ends with </TRACK>, like this: https://gyazo.com/b0c60ba6544b02d585a24583c8cf8ecb
). Then you'll need to go to the header of the file and change NUMTRACKS value from whatever number it is to 1.( It looks like this: https://gyazo.com/5250475a3255e4e96b8839046e7edda1
)

P.S. You may need to check your *.xsf skeleton file to get information about bone ID numbers. Since the animation file does not contain bone names, only IDs. PelvisNode will have ID 1.

Ashes's page

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually changed the exporter I was using and it worked fine--IMVU wouldn't allow me to reply or edit my own post last night.

I can export strictly the PelvisNode but now my issue is getting the same animation to layer onto itself. I thought it might be possible by uploading multiple animations (each budged over a little more than the next) to the same trigger/action and cycling through them, but it still only performs one animation.
DimitriX89

DimitriX89's page

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think setting the animation to Average (and infinite loop) can make the results stack if you execute trigger multiple times. That won't be very precise since it will blend with underlying avatar animation, but it is the best you can have with limited IMVU capabilities. Replace mode is not an option since each subsequent start of the trigger will override previous one.
Don't want to see these ads? Join the VIP Program!

Don't want to see these ads? Join the VIP Program!

Hide ads? Get VIP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    IMVU Forum Index -> 3D Developing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: